Friday, December 24, 2010

Xmas Eve


I used to be mildly amused when the ignorant criticized the shorthand use of Xmas for Christmas. "Put the Christ back in Christmas!" they would shout. I would patiently explain that "X" in such a case was not the letter X, but rather the Greek letter Chi, the first letter in Christ, and long used as an abbreviation and symbol.

I'm less amused in these Fox News/O'Reilly/War on Christmas/Tea Party days. What has become clear is that the ignorant do not lack information. They simply ignore any information that counters their narrow worldview. I willingly confess my arrogant pride in my advanced education. I acknowledge how privileged and fortunate I am in that regard. Further, not everyone can or should pursue advanced degrees. But education? Education only requires willingness and the openness to new information. Perhaps taking some time away from "American Idol" or "Survivor" and dedicating it to self-improvement would serve.

No time to write more. I need to check my email, update my facebook profile and play some Farmville.

No comments:

Post a Comment