Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hurray for Rain


It's raining. Raindrops are splashing on the street and driveway in front of the house, and cars driving by are making that unique sound that indicates wet streets.

We've been pretty dry this spring, making me worry about our trees, vines and garden. The lawn is green, but I know that hue can change quickly in the absence of precipitation, even in April.

I recall one particular instance of hearing a television weather reader, in the midst of a protracted drought, gush enthusiastically about the clear skies and warm temperatures in the forecast. I ranted in Sally's general direction ("general" because she keeps moving in unpredictable directions when I start my rants) about the idiocy of that particular meteorastrologist. The problem, I think, is something larger. Despite our much ballyhooed ability to reason, humans seem unable to embrace the reality of the world in which we live. Faced with darkness, we turn on floodlights, extinguishing the softer glow of the moon, stars, nebulas, and galaxies, including our own. Faced with an awareness of the hidden life of microbes all around and within us, we grab the spray disinfectant and a prescription for antibiotics. There are ants outside - sometimes inside - and bees, and birds, and bats. Yes, by the grace of all that is holy there are still birds and bees, and bats.

So, I'm embracing the rain today. It might last only a few hours, or continue for days and wash away the effects of all my little exertions, but I'm so thankful - so thankful - that it came into my life this day.

There's a wonderful statement I first read as a signature on emails from one of my wonderful friends, perhaps one of you. It's variously attributed to Sir Rannulph Fiennes and as a traditional Scottish saying: There's no such thing as bad weather... only inappropriate clothing.

Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment