Friday, February 24, 2012

On Sleeping Eight Hours


I just read about a study that questions the normalcy of eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. The gist of the article was that references to "first sleep" and the like were common in the past. The argument is that our species more naturally sleeps for four hours, is awake two, and then sleeps four more hours.

This would explain the common experience of staring at the ceiling at 2:00 a.m. wondering how we're going to pay the mortgage, or why I took the job, or how clever web-based thieves are stealing all our money from the bank at this very moment. Apparently I would be better off getting up and doing something rather than trying to sleep during that period. Sounds good, as long as I'm allowed to adjust my alarm clock for the two additional hours I need on the far end.

No comments:

Post a Comment